Monday 3 November 2014

Book Review: How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

Title: How I Live Now

Author: Meg Rosoff

Publisher: Penguin

Release Date: November 30th, 2004

ISBN: 0553376055

Rating: 4/5

Cover Impressions: I love that behind the stylized outlines of trees and butterflies (which are beautiful), there is a drawing like a child has crossed out their work, a large swirling pattern which indicates that not all may be as it seems.

I picked this up off my shelf after buying it some time ago, primarily because my cousin and I watched the DVD for the first time last week. I know, I know – never watch before you read but I couldn't say; “just wait there for a couple of hours so I can read this book”, so I watched it with her and when we were done I read the book. The film was good but of course the book was better (as per norm).

Synopsis: Fifteen-year-old Daisy is sent from Manhattan to England to visit her aunt and cousins she’s never met: three boys near her age, and their little sister. Her aunt goes away on a business trip soon after Daisy arrives. The next day bombs detonate as London is attacked and occupied by an unnamed enemy. As power fails, the farm becomes more isolated. Despite the war, it’s a kind of Eden, with no adults in charge and no rules, a place where Daisy’s uncanny bond with her cousins grows into something rare and extraordinary. But the war is everywhere, and Daisy and her cousins must lead each other into a world that is unknown in the scariest, most elemental way.

Review: Can I firstly say that I LOVED the writing in this book. I have heard some people hating on it purely because it is a little out of the ordinary (no speech marks are used, what the characters are saying is just stated instead). Having never read a book like this before, I however thought that it was unique and I felt that it added significantly to the story.

I liked the voice of fifteen year old daisy. After her Dad remarried to a woman she despised and with their baby on the way, she was shipped to London. Throw in some great but abnormal cousins, an eating disorder and a war and you’re going to end up with a character whose perspective is extremely interesting to read about, being inside her head was funny, unusual and thought provoking. I liked reading about Daisy’s family, especially her cousin Piper. The war is like a character itself, making brutal appearances in the lives of Daisy and her family, it made the characters stronger, forced them to grow up before their time.

After the family is split up, they quest to find each other once again. Traveling through a country terrorized by the effects of modern war, Daisy fights for what she wants. I really liked the world in which How I Live Now was set in, where adults are making the wrong decisions for the wrong reasons, children are making decisions for only one reason, no one can be trusted and there is no well-defined adversary.

Overall I give this book four out of five stars, it is a touching mix of how far people will go for those they love, how strong the bonds of family can be and the ultimate test of survival, a great coming of age read.

No comments:

Post a Comment