Sunday 9 November 2014

Book Review: Miss Peregine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Title: Miss Peregtine's Home for Peculiar Children

Author: Ransom Riggs

Publisher: Quirk Books

Release Date: June 7th 2011

ISBN: 1594744769

Rating: 4/5

Cover Impressions: I like the use of black and white photography; it ties in really well with the story.

I read Miss Peregtine’s Home for Peculiar Children on my kindle a while ago and when I heard that Quirk Books were going to send me a copy of the next book in the series, Hollow City, I thought I might as well throw a review on here:

Synopsis: As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

Review: From the very start, I was at ease with the way the book was written and was in love with how Riggs conveyed words. I never knew that such simple sentences could be so haunting and beautiful. The way Jacob's character was portrayed was really good, I found him easy to relate to and admired his curiosity, relentlessness and his peculiarity.

The idea of ‘the loop’ was really interesting as were the hollowgast's and I liked reading about the different powers that the children possessed.

I didn't really latch on to Jacob’s romantic attraction to Emma because all I could think about was that she had previously been involved with his Grandfather and this reminded me of JacobxRenesmee, which I hated.

 I especially enjoyed Miss Peregtine’s Home for Peculiar Children because of the way it incorporated unusual antique photographs into the narrative, this ensured a unique and extraordinary reading experience and I loved it.

This book follows a very realistic story which combined with Riggs’ incredible and vivid writing you feel like you've fallen through time, right into his world of wonders. I love the characters, they're all very special, in every aspect, and their fear mixed with their bravery makes them seem that much more realistic, overall I give it four out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment